Guy's story reminds me of an experience in my teenage days when I had a
tri-band, 2 element cubical quad on a 40 foot tower.  I had made a crude
grounding rack for the separate feedlines using nails appropriately spaced
in a scrap 2x4 to hang the PL-259s, and the nails were grounded to the mains
ground with some wire braid stripped from old coax.   I returned home from a
family vacation one summer to find the PL-259s welded to the nails.  There
was no sign of other damage, so there must have been a relatively gentle
surge induced by lightning.  I don't recommend my grounding technique (I was
14 or 15 and pretty naive about lightning-induced currents), but I still
disconnect feedlines (and ground them!) religiously.

Mike, K8CN