First, COM ports have not been standard on computers for a very long
time. I have not had computers with COM ports since the WIN98 days.
Their absence has little to do with being "run of the mill lower end of
the market." The technology is obsolete, and it is beyond me why
manufacturers of ham gear continue to use them.

Second, the less-expensive USB-2.0 to COM converters are often
defective, in that they do not implement the whole COM protocol. I have
a drawer full of that kind, from Radio Shack, MFJ and several other
sources. None of these worked with my K2.

One USB-2.0 to COM adapter and driver set that worked well for me on my
K2 is a CableMax 4-port (e.g. 4 COM ports from one USB-2.0 snout). These
are sold by several sources, and may be of interest if David's
serial-card option is not available. They are small outboard boxes with
4 DB-9 male connectors and a (regular, not mini) type-B USB jack. They
are somewhat more expensive than the serial card option. The drivers
work with VISTA and WIN 7 (32-bit) and come on a mini-CD (users of
slot-CD drives beware!)

John Ragle -- W1ZI