Besides the K3 there is a long list of other possibles, but since you
WERE into the cables inside the K3, if all those mini-coax connectors
did not get seated correctly...I found that a little tricky and there
is a certain feel to it when they go in right and seat solid.  That an
unrelated intermittent could occur the same weekend as a K3 upgrade is
likely due to passing through a nexus of murphyite entropy, our your
neighbor casting spells.

Mostly it sounds like this kind of stuff that has happened to me
personally over time.  I'm sure the list is really much longer if we
add in everyone's experience.

* Connection of coax shield to dipole half was parted but still
touching when it was convenient.
* Connection of yagi matching device to driven element corroded and loose.
* Water in barrel connector splice in feedline, getting green.
* Center connection in hardline connector soldered too far down on
hardline center conductor (didn't use the little spacer to do it
because I couldn't find it) and cold wx would separate it at night. In
the morning when sun hit it would close up.
* PL259 on back of rig cross-threaded and making poor contact.
* PL259 on back of rig not tightened at all.
* Amp relay contacts burned by running at contest station with no
delay set up for transceiver-amp keying sequence, causing hot
switching.
* Amp relay contacts worn out from years of QSK.
* Unsoldered connection in commercial balun.
* Unsoldered connection in homemade balun. (Apparently a communicable disease.)
* Balun hit by lightning, odd thing that it had periods of apparently
working OK. It was full of loose pieces inside.
* Heathkit SB series setup.  RCA plugs wore out and got loose.
* Worn out T/R relays of many kinds.
* Conductor in 450 window line parted inside the polyethylene due to
wind flexing.
* Center conductor in RG8 pulled apart due to stretching under weight
of ice, would only part in coldest weather.
* Incomplete crimp on BNC center conductor.
* Going way back to novice days when I could barely tell difference
between coax and rope, unsoldered shield and center conductors in
PL259 conveniently fogotten and still in service.

In most of the above, hitting the key and putting the connection under
power would close the gap temporarily, for a second, an hour, a
month....   Couple others, for fairness:

* Incomplete solder joint in transceiver SMD board. Was making
connection as glued, but would sometimes not make contact. Hitting
transmit did nothing.  Only found it with freeze spray and what
amounted to a low grade microscope.  It ran AOK for a long time before
the trouble surfaced.

* Burned transformer in TRX input due to inband power (100w+?) on the
line back to the TRX in RX state.  It worked part of the time.

Longer I think about it the longer the upper list gets.

73 and good luck.   Guy.