With so many words in the English language I wonder why some of the
new ones are coined.  I am not an expert on FFT and higher math, but
would someone please explain to me what discretize signifies that is
not covered by quantize.  Some definitions of quantize follow.

Quantize - approximate (a signal varying continuously in amplitude)
by one whose amplitude is restricted to a prescribed set of discrete
values

Quantization - In digital signal processing, quantization is the
process of approximating ("mapping") a continuous range of values (or
a very large set of possible discrete values) by a relatively small
("finite") set of ("values which can still take on continuous range")
discrete symbols or integer values. ...

Just an old vacuum tube guy trying to understand the new world better

David K0LUM