When Windows is started, The operating system checks the Device Manager to see
what is set up on your system.  When it sees the serial ports (both real and
USB to Serial) Windows exercises all the output lines of all the serial ports
on the system to test them. This can result in a very quick keying of the K3
(mine does it 3 times). If the K3 is in SSB or CW mode there will be no output
but if you have a linear on during this time it will see a PTT input during the
port test.

I always have the K3 (and linear) off when I reboot or turn on the computer. I
also have the linear in stand by or off before I turn on the K3.

There are many rigs which will have a short transmit burst when powering up, K3
included. Unless you are running an analog rig your rig stands a good chance of
doing the same thing

73
Dave KD1NA