It is important to use an anti-static mat to prevent damage to
electronic devices when working on solid-state equipment.  Since
Elecraft is heavily kit-oriented this is a topic of interest for
Elecrafters.

Quite some time ago I did some testing on the Radio Shack portable
anti-static mat and found that its resistance was way too high to do a
proper job of bleeding off static charges.  I then bought another
low-cost mat from Jameco and it also measured way too high.  I began to
doubt my testing methodology (described in a previous message, copied
below).

So now I have bought a third mat.  This one is more expensive, but
unlike the cheaper mats it has an actual data sheet that specifies that
it meets ANSI specs for anti-static performance.  I figured if it also
measured bad then my testing must be in error.

But it didn't.  Here are the results:

Radio Shack P/N 276-2370 ($22.99) - 26 G ohms (26,000 M ohms)
Jameco P/N 10584 ($16.45) - 44 G ohms (44,000 M ohms)
Digi-Key P/N 16-1121-ND, (Desco 66164) ($38.18) - 41 M ohms

The Desco mat's resistance is about 1000x lower than the cheaper ones!

This mat is quite large, (2 x 3 feet, 61 x 91.4 cm) so if you buy one
you may need to cut it down to fit on your workbench.  It comes with a
"common point ground kit" (that you have to install on the mat yourself)
that provides a long wire with solder lug to connect to ground and a
two-socket connector for connecting one or two wrist straps.  The wrist
strap and cord have to be purchased separately.  It looks like Digi-Key
P/N SCP172-ND for $8.95 should work.

So the total cost is about $47.  But the cheap mats are no bargain if
they don't work.

I tried cleaning the surface of the mats with some wipes that are
especially intended for cleaning anti-static mats (Digi-Key MTT20-ND)
and they did help.  The Radio Shack mat went from 26 to 6 Gohms and the
Jameco went from 44 to about 12 Gohms.  But those numbers are still way
too high.  The Desco mat's resistance also went down, from 41 to 20
Mohms.

The Desco mat came with a small spray bottle of "Rezstore", their own
brand of mat cleaner.

By the way, the back side of the Desco mat is some kind of
highly-conductive black rubber, apparently to keep the entire mat
surface at equal potential.  They warn that you should always use it
blue side up because the resistance of the back side is too low.  Sure
enough, it was low enough to measure with my digital multimeter - about
80 kohms.

So my recommendation is to buy a mat such as the Desco model that has a
data sheet that specifies that it meets ANSI/ESD S4.1 or ANSI/ESD
S20.20.  If you already have the Radio Shack mat, then either replace it
or at least clean it with a cleaner approved for ESD mats.  (You're not
supposed to use soap or detergent because it might harm the anti-static
properties.)  Gary KI4GGX recommends a product made by Techspray:
http://www.all-spec.com/products/1733-QT.html

Whatever you use, it is important to keep the mat clean.

A word about my test procedure.  Accuracy is not very good because I am
trying to read the peak amplitude of a brief needle flicker.  If I had
an analog meter with a high-impedance input that would work better
because the reading wouldn't change so fast.  Also my sauce pans no
doubt do not give the same answer as the ANSI-specified test probes.  So
overall, I doubt my measurement accuracy is better than +/- 50% or so.
But for the purposes of this test that's good enough.

In the test procedure below I had to substitute a 1.0 uF capacitor when
measuring the Tesco mat in order to get a long-enough time constant to
measure accurately.  (Also, it's actually a Triplett meter, not a
Simpson.)

Alan N1AL