Phil,
   I agree with your desire to keep my K3 PC free.   I do contest and use
WinTest which is a great help but my normal log is paper and all contest
logs are printed out before placing them in a binder.   A good friend of
mine almost gave up the hobby because he could no longer access his HDD
bound logs and yes I know everyone should back up but there is a lot of data
on floppies and zip disks which is becoming harder to access.  My old 1960s
logs are still for the good.   Another reason I prefer to be disconnected
from the PC is lightning protection.   When not in use I tend to disconnect
the K3 from antenna and mains but if it were connected to the PC then there
would be that much more to disconnect so as to stay isolated from phone/LAN
and power mains.   This is a personal choice but it is one of the main
reasons why I am not taking a less expensive approach to the spectrum
display panadaptor.   To each his own and discussion is healthy.

               73 Doug EI2CN