Hi Geoff.

It is a real puzzler.  I have checked the voltages on the encoder
and these switch between 4.95V and 100mV when the shaft
is rotated slowly, they don't alternate between each other but
are in sync.  It is possible to change the frequency using the
encoder but only by a small amount and only if the shaft
is spun quickly.

Resistance readings between the 5V supply pin and
the Enc A/B are infinate or beyond the range of my
Fluke 77 meter in one polarity and 3.9MOhm in
the other.

Between Enc A/B it is 8,2MOhm and Infinate
when changing polarity.

Between 5V pin and Enc-enable it is between
4.2MOhm and infinate when changing polarity

Enc A and Enc-enable between 8.15MOhm
and infinate when changing polarity.

Enc B and Enc- enable between 8MOhm and
infinity when changing polarity.

All measurements done with the encoder in
cct.

I have a friend just round the corner from me who
is in the process of building a K2 (has been for
quite a whlie :-) ) so we have arranged to do
some testing this afternoon with his control
and display boards.  He also has a suitable
scope so hopefully I will be able to test the function
of the MCU also.   I also have a Dataman S4 programmer
so the possibility of reflashing the firmware may exist, though
this may be a last resort as I wouldn't want to corrupt his
radio as well.

Again thanks to all on the reflector who have responed.

Will update later today once the comparison tests have been
conducted.

Regards

Nidge (G0NIG)

IO93dv