Hi Bob,
I will apologize because I responded to quickly thinking all Hams are
like me...by bad habit.
I will not listed here problems faced with not properly designed ALC's
during the past and as Hams we are suppose to go a bit further to keep
the maximum of our equipment...within the limits.
As the original importer it is your duty to write it and I fully agee
with your comments.
ALC is useful for full auto Amps, specially the solid states one.
During my all career in Telecoms started 1972, I never burned any Amp
(Ham & Broadcast), solid state or valves by overdriving.
But I read carefully the specs before testing any new equipment and
have costly equipment in my pro lab to monitor it, that is not the case
of most of Hams.
So again mea culpa.

Bst 73's
Philippe A65BI
K3#3616
"By Hams, for Hams...What else ?"

Philippe TROTTET
Head of Field Telecom Unit - DUBAI

United Nations High Commissioner for  Refugees
International Humanitarian City
Office Building Nº3 - Room 2, 1st Floor
Doha Street
PO BOX: 506013
DUBAI - U.A.E.

Dubai time: GMT +4
W: Sunday to Thursday
HQ Ext: 7120
Vsat: xx 41 22 7120
External:
+971 4 3601753
+41 22 739 7120
Mobile: +971 504531756
Website: www.unhcr.org ( http://www.unhcr.org/ )

>>> "Bob Naumann" <w...@w5ov.com> 21-04-2010 16:36 >>>
Before this faulty opinion proliferates any further; what applies to
tube amps does not follow with solid state amps.

ALC is required by most manufacturers of solid state amps to prevent
overdriving and the resulting damage to the amplifier. ALC is the
mechanism used to achieve this protection.

We were the original USA importer of the Expert 1KFA and it requires
ALC. Tokyo Hy-Power does as well.

Can you manually limit your output from your radio and avoid damage?
Yes. Even so, why take the risk? Hook up the ALC and adjust it according
to the amplifier manufacturer's instruction.

If it is not working correctly, refer the problem to the amplifier
manufacturer or dealer.

So, please do not advise someone with a solid state amp to disconnect
their ALC- unless you want to assume the cost of repairs.

73,

Bob W5OV
Array Solutions
(Tokyo Hy-Power Dealer)