All,

Here is the statement from the developer of the SPE Expert 1K-FA - regarding
ALC, quoted from an early Expert Reflector:....

I hope this will clarify the SPE Expert vs K3 - and ALC !!

Please excuse me if I step on someones toes......

quote

*The Elecraft K3 had positive-going ALC, too.  In helping them test their*
*conversion of the K3 to negative-going ALC with different amps, I received*
*an email from Gianfranco, copy below.  His thoughts on how the SPE Expert
is*
*designed to handle transceiver drive may apply here to the Ten-Tec.*
*
*
*FWIW,*
*
*
*Bob*
*K5LLF*
*
*
*Hello Bob,*
*
*
*Elecraft has a strong reputation for manufacturing cost effective and*
*quality transceivers, and for this I'm glad that they decided to conform*
*with the state-of-the-art negative ALC how is commonly intended by all the*
*other manufacturers.*
*
*
*As you well know the ALC is a transceiver's input used to adjust its output
*
*power during transmission: at 0 Vdc there is a maximum power emission and,*
*little by little the control voltage decreases toward negative values,*
*output power emission is reduced until it becomes practically nothing at a*
*given BV (Break Voltage) control voltage.*
*
*
*Every brand has a different BV (ICOM: -3/-4 Vdc, YAESU: -4/-5 Vdc,*
*KENWOOD: -8/-9 Vdc; etc.).*
*
*
*In order to have the widest possible coverage, all the linear amplifiers'*
*manufacturers state that the maximum ALC voltage excursion sourced by their
*
*devices is -11 Vdc.*
*
*
*>From this perspective Elecraft's choice (0 Vdc: max PW; -4 Vdc: min PW)*
*sounds good then, but a very important detail to take into account is the*
*overall intervention time which has to be the shortest possible!*
*
*
*All the ordinary linear amplifiers have an external potentiometer which
sets*
*
*
*a given threshold (manually adjusted by the user) whose purpose is to avoid
*
*the linear amplifier's over-driving when that threshold is exceeded.*
*
*
*SPE EXPERT 1K-FA is quite different from those because is fully automatic*
*within its working: ALC control is not only for avoiding over-driving*
*situations, but it is also intended as a system for adjusting the optimal*
*output power for a perfect driving of the transceiver itself.*
*
*
*We really suggest to always leave the transceiver's output power manual*
*control to its maximum level because the EXPERT, thanks to its exclusive*
*design, will provide to control that level as long as the required optimal*
*value will be reached.*
*
*
*Don't try to analyse the ALC control voltage of our linear amplifier
because*
*it cannot be measured using ordinary methods as it operates dynamically for
*
*assuring a great linearity.*
*
*
*Elecraft has only to implement a very fast input able to deal with negative
*
*voltages as all the other manufacturers already do: SPE's amplifier will*
*adapt to that in order to work for the best possible linearity.*
*
*
*
*