I had an oddball problem here that does this.

The HAL DXP38 TNC (when turned off!) will key the K3 PTT line when the
K3 is turned on.   Separate power supplies for each. Computer connected
to each.

If the DXP38 TNC is on and the K3 turned on, all is well.

I have never figured out why this happens but took an "engineering
approach" to fix it -- a normally open relay in the PTT line of the TNC
which is only activated when the TNC powered.

Didn't have this problem with two other rigs.  I'm not saying it is the
K3's fault.....

To find what's going on:
1) disconnect everything from the K3
2) plug one thing at a time back in until you find the culprit.

73 de Brian/K3KO