On 4/27/2010 2:32 PM, DM4iM wrote:
> Elecrafters,
> this might be a rig-killer and vy stupid, but....
>
> Can i power a 6m masthead-preamp by feeding dc via choke and coupling
> C's to the KXV3A's in/out sockets (where the elecraft preamp is supposed
> to sit), or is this a big NONO?
>
> Martin

Hello Martin,

I think you could do better by simply installing the PR6 at the K3 and using
low
loss coax to the antenna.  Almost all the 6m EME stations around the world use
good external preamp in the shack.  If your coax cable loss is 1 dB or less,
you
will not gain anything by mounting the 6m preamp at the antenna.

You can model this for yourself in the EME CALCULATOR (accessed from the EME
ECHO
MODE screen in the old WSJT Version 4). Because the EME CALCULATOR and EME ECHO
MODE were never re-written in the language used in more recent revisions of
WSTJ,
that old version is still available:

http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT498.EXE

I think you will find it much simpler to keep the preamp in the shack!  GL and
VY
73, Lance

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ (ex: WN3GPL, WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8,
E51SIX)

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME email!