Sam -

If you are running the K3 on battery power, then obviously power supply
hum isn't the problem.  Some possibilities:

Try changing the orientation of ANY AC operated device near the K3.  If
possible, remove the item temporarily as a test.  If it is not possible
to move the external device, then at least try rotating it 90 degrees in
at least 2 planes (one at a time) and test again.  I have experienced
instances where a external magnetic field was "modulating" a VCO inside
a radio, and causing the sort of problem you are experiencing.   The
problem may be coming from something other than a power supply.  I had
an instance where the magnetic field from a TV set's  horizontal
oscillator was affecting the VCO in a Kenwood 9800 VHF set, and causing
it to transmit spurs up and down the band at 15.75 kHz intervals.   That
computer power supply could be a possible culprit.   Try turning it off
(remove the power cord to insure a complete shutdown)  just to see for
sure.

If you have not already tried this, try running the K3 with no external
connections at all - other than perhaps the battery source.  That means
no antenna, no microphone or key paddle, nothing at all.   It goes
without saying that any other connections should be removed for this
test - no computer interface, no external speaker, no nothing except for
the K3 by itself.  I believe you should be able to key up the K3 from
the front panel using either a "test" mode or manually operated
transmit.   Set the power to as low as it will go before making this
test.  1 watt or less of RF will not damage the radio even if the
antenna is completely disconnected.  Listen on another receiver to see
if you still hear the hum.  If you do, and if you have eliminated any
possibility of influence by an external AC field, then the problem is
internal to the K3, and it needs repair.  If not, then try attaching
external connections one at a time until the hum comes back, and you
have found the basic problem.

It is possible that a "ground loop" from one or more external
connections is causing the problem.

Let us know what you find after making these tests.

- Jim, KL7CC

Sam Morgan wrote:
> <snip>
>

> I just went to battery power and hear the same hum
>
> I have turned on a radio shack swl receiver sitting across the room
> and am using 0.10w output

<snip>