Jon,
Hang on with your Apple ... you can run Windows on it. Assuming it's
Intel-based, which is the current production.

I need to run a lot of heavy-duty Windows apps (programming, database)
that aren't available for Snow Leopard. The solution is to run windows
ON the Apple.

Parallels http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ lets you run a
virtual machine (a VM) on the Apple; you install Windows in the VM just
like you would a real piece of PC hardware. You can copy/cut/paste
between Apple and Win applications, run simultaneously (without
rebooting to the other OS).

Parallels runs satisfactorily in my Mac-mini with 2 GB RAM. Doesn't do
well with less. My main machine is a Mac-Pro with 6 GB memory, and it
runs perfectly. Have a PC sitting on the floor beside it, but haven't
even turned it on in months.

Bottom line, keep the Apple, run the Windows apps you need on it.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan D. Wilcox, W3DVX (K2-5373, K3-40)
570-321-1516