Toby Pennington wrote:
> Strong points for the K3,  lighter weight,  easy to ship,  repairs are not
> expensive,  and can be done in the field on occasion.  Great
> performance.......also a great rig for portable operation.    The only
> negative is the user interface which is not really that great when compared
> to the competition.  Some will take me to task for this comment,  but I feel
> it is warranted.

The user interface is fine for portability, but I would agree that many
more functions could be mapped out on the front panel, ie. dedicated
sub-RX controls (bandwidth, preamp/att, etc.), dual S-meters, larger LCD
so VFO B freq. stays put and text feedback displayed elsewhere.  More
generous spacing of controls would be a big plus also.  I know it was
mentioned that there were no plans for a K4, etc., something to the
effect of protecting K3 owners investment, but I would think an upgrade
kit with a larger case, front panel, et.al., to bring the ergonomics up
to "desktop" standards would be considered.  There would be no need to
replace the internals, other than maybe front panel board, interfacing
to exiting MPU, etc.  Perhaps even enough empty space left in the new
case for an internal PS.

73 - Eric NO3M