I'm considering the best way to approach the mods to my KSYN3 board.  Doing
nothing or buying a second receiver are possibilities (the second receiver's
up-to-date KSYN3 could be installed as the main one).  But if I decide to mod
my KSYN3 without spending a lot, a question arises.

Left over from an earlier mod kit K3AFMDKT I have two SMD and two axial-lead
51-ohm resistors.  In the instructions for installation of K3AFMDKT
http://www.elecraft.com/K3/mods/K3_AF_Stage_Upgrade_Instructions_Rev_B.pdf
two possibilities are listed for paralleling the 51-ohm added resistors
with the SMD resistors already present:
(1)  stacking the added SMD resistors on top of the ones already present; and
(2)  adding axial-lead resistors.
Pictures of the two approaches are on page 10 of that pdf.

The instructions for the most recent KSYN3 mod
http://www.elecraft.com/K3/mods/KSYN3%20DDS%20Gain%20Modification.pdf
mention only the second of these two possibilities for paralleling a new
51-ohm resistor with the resistor already present on the KSYN3 board.

Is there some reason why the SMD-stacking approach cannot be used on KSYN3?
I was pleased with the neat appearance of the previous stackings.

The axial-lead resistors in the K3AFMDKT were specified to be 1/4 watt, so
may be too big for use in the most recent KSYN3 mod, which requires 1/8 watt,
probably for clearance.  So I'm really asking if I need to get a new axial
resistor, or can I use the SMD I already have--if I decide to mod my KSYN3.

73, Paul W8TM