Actually you can't do that with the K3 at narrower bandwidths in CW. The RX
EQ is deactivated at narrower filter settings. (Unless this changed in a
recent firmware release). I don't recall what the cutoff width is and I
can't find it described in the latest manual.

There is also a minor annoyance with using +db settings in the RX EQ for CW
because as the filter width is decreased, there will be a noticeable
decrease in volume when you hit the point at which the RX EQ is deactivated.
Also as you indicated, 400Hz or 800Hz for peaking may not be everyone's cup
of tea.

Maybe this is a good time to suggest an adjustable audio peak filter.

73,
Mike K2MK