If others had the same Field Day experience we had, then Elecraft should
prepare for an orders onslaught.

We used three K3s and three tribanders (plus an 80m dipole and 40m beam) at
W1MOO. In years past, we had terrible inter-station QRM with *other* radios,
despite bandpass filters at all stations. This year, we were able to operate
stations on phone and CW *** on the same band *** at the same time. Sure, we
had a couple of instances where we would run across an artifact of the other
station's signal ( we * did not * employ all the band filtering of years
past because we didn't feel we needed it), but there was not the usual sound
of "Charlie Brown's teacher" in the headphones at the CW station, nor the
modulation of the noise level in the cans at the phone station.

There was significant resistance to using tribanders placed in a line 150 ft
and 75 ft apart, because the former monoband antennas themselves were
supposed to provide significant isolation, but even the skeptics were
convinced. Comments like, "Wow, that's really a great rig" and "Gee, I
really like that radio," were commonplace. First-time users were able to
quickly pick up the use of the radio's controls. Folks were equally
impressed by the fact that they can buy only the features they need and add
the features they want later.

Another frequent remark, and an effect that I was able to witness for
myself, was on the difference between 5-pole and 8-pole filters. The 8-pole
filters were preferred, hands-down, over the 5-pole filters. When I used a
radio with 5-pole filters, it felt as though the filters weren't even
engaged, because so many undesired signals that were inaudible using the
8-pole filters were allowed through - albeit much attenuated - by the 5-pole
filters.

Hope you all had a fun and safe Field Day 2010.

--
73 -- Brian -- K1LI