> In other words, I could hear myself running my fingers across the
 > connector in the headphones.  I unscrewed the jack-screws and the
 > problem disappeared.

Unscrewing the jack-screws provided a mechanical strain relief between
the plug and the KIO3.  I would bet the problem still exists in the
KIO3 you are just no longer exciting the problem because you removed
the screws.

 > MicroHam pots the inside of the connector with white RTV, so it is
 > impossible to know if there is any sort of ground pin issue.

Rig control would not work if there were a ground pin issue since the
signal ground (pin 5) and frame ground are separate (according to the
schematics).  You can always check the pin 5 connection on the micro-
HAM cable (cable schematics are available on the web site but look
for continuity between pin 5 of the DB9 and shell of the DB37).

BY the way, the silicone potting is added strain relief ... too many
users insist on disconnecting cables by pulling on the wires and not
the connector (plug) bodies.  Even though the cables have always used
the crimped and/or clamped strain reliefs in the various plugs, adding
the silicone potting has significantly decreased the incidence of
failure in the field.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV