My first experience with DSP was using my FT-847.  It is OK but not
spectacular.  I mainly operate VHF+ and mostly eme so that is a
different thing than HF.  The FT-847 is audio DSP so that limits it
right away.  DSP filters are fixed in CW: 400-200-100-25 Hz.  NR
worked OK on SSB.  NB was not worth turning on.

The K3 has IF DSP so a different animal.  I like the versatility but
that means a steep learning curve to discover what works, when and
where.  I am impressed with NR on HF SSB.  Having a combination of
roofing filters and DSP filtering really works nice when digging out
super weak signals.  The NB is pretty good on impulse noise (way
better than the FT-847).

DSP technology is advancing quickly.  My hearing aids are
digital.  They separate the audio spectrum into 22 channels and have
echo cancellation and four NR routines including
noise-cancellation.  So I guess I will always have DSP when listening
to my K3 (or anything) ;-) .  As the sampling rate increases for DSP
the closer it will be to analog hearing.  My hearing is -30dB so I
must use hearing aids.  They are predicting in 10-15 years implant
DSP on the audio nerve will render hearing loss completely cured...in
fact those with it will hear better than natural hearing (ahh, bionic ears!).

This applies to radio DSP in the same fashion.

The K3 has versatility that I have not begun to use (and not just
DSP).  I think as one gains experience in using DSP in more
situations it will grow on you.

73, Ed - KL7UW

Message: 18