Thanks for your explanation, I had missed the point of RLVZ's comment.

A related cause and I am speculating here without doing the calculations,
when the noise is rough and signals are at or under the noise floor might be
the added in-passband low level intermodulation products generated by a
narrow bandwidth roofing filter when hit by all of the received noise power,
which the DSP then has to cope with, given that the OIP3 of a narrow
bandwidth crystal filter is usually "worse" than that of a wider filter -
all else being equal. I do have some crystal filter OIP3 vs filter bandwidth
measured data which shows this effect, but will stop speculating on the
effect on a DSP :-)

I agree with your comment about DSP radios vs full analogue radios.

73,

Geoff
GM4ESD

Tom W8JI wrote:

> I think people are talking about two different things here.
>
> What I am talking about, and what I understand some others to be talking
> about, is a problem with DSP systems processing noise floor signal,
> especially when the noise is a bit rough, without adding artifacts that
> make
> copy or quality worse.

<snip>