You can hear what you're transmitting with the monitor feature.

Wait - I think I know what the issue is - I'm guessing that you are not
using headphones, so you don't want the monitor on except when playing
back a DVR recording.

My mistake.

I presumed you would be using headphones to get the best results from your
K3's receiver.

73,

Bob W5OV
(always uses headphones)