Can anyone refer me to an explanation of why Schwartz Sequential Dropping is the same thing as "elect the candidate whose beatpaths to all other candidates are stronger than the beatpaths back"?
The reasoning for the Schwartz limitation is clear to me (non-Schwartz members are not useful beatpath nodes), but I am fuzzy on how discarding weakest defeats obtains the beatpath winner. In '98 Blake Cretney described a method called "Goldfish 0.3" which was apparently thought to be equivalent to the beatpath method. It seemed to work by successively looking at the greatest defeat, and allowing its victor to obtain the victories scored by the defeat's loser. (I believe the loser was also disqualified from inheriting later victories, although the loser could be defeated repeatedly.) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/election-methods-list/message/725 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/election-methods-list/message/789 I don't know if it was decided whether this method was really equivalent. Kevin Venzke [EMAIL PROTECTED] ___________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? -- Une adresse @yahoo.fr gratuite et en fran�ais ! Yahoo! Mail : http://fr.mail.yahoo.com ---- Election-methods mailing list - see http://electorama.com/em for list info
