I personally wrote a resolution to replace a 2-stage runoff with IRV, which passed the student govt of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh last spring. It is based on my study of the math. Here is a link to a copy of it, my letter to the editor about it, and an academic article which backs some of my claims.
My Letter on IRV in UWO student govt <http://at.mio.uwosh.edu/story.asp?issue=10925&story=2340> "OSA Assembly Resolution SA-02-001" <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InstantRunoffWI/message/115> "Analysis of voting procedures in one-seat elections: Condorcet efficiency and Borda efficiency" DIMITRI VANDERCRUYSSEN (KUL)1 March 1999 <http://www.econ.kuleuven.ac.be/ew/admin/Publications/DPS99/Dps9911.pdf> SB Oshkosh, WI PS: This message might get repeatedly posted, since I am having some technical problems. --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Bart Ingles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > > I had intended to reply to this thoughtful but long essay, but haven't > had time to go through it in detail before now. > > On the question of IRV vs Plurality, I would like to first point out > that pure first-past-the-post is not really the norm for U.S. > elections. For nonpartisan local elections, the question should really > be IRV vs. Runoff. And for partisan state and federal elections, we > generally have primary and general elections, which are similar in > effect to runoffs. > > > James Green-Armytage wrote on 8/3/03: > > I am interested in knowing how everyone here feels about this question: > > Which is better, IRV or Plurality? [...] ===== Richard M. Hare, 1919 - 2002, In Memoriam, http://www.petersingerlinks.com/hare.htm Did you know there is an web site where, if you click on a button, the advertisers there will donate 2 1/2 cups of food to feed hungry people in places where there is a lot of starvation? Consider making it your home page. See: http://www.thehungersite.com __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com ---- Election-methods mailing list - see http://electorama.com/em for list info
