Kevin Venzke wrote: > I don't know if anyone here prefers margins to WV.
Yep. More than a few of us do. Margins advocates just tend to be less vocal since we don't care as much about the issue as winning-votes fans do. Blake Cretney and I have argued patiently against winning-votes in the past, but we don't respond every time winning-votes is praised on the list. Search the archives for "margins legrand" or "margins cretney" to find our arguments. I'm much more interested in Approval than ranked-ballot methods now anyway, and I don't want to fan the flames of yet another margins vs. winning-votes thread. In April 2001 we had two polls on this list. The first poll was to decide the topic for the second; the winner was single-winner voting systems. The second poll was really two polls, as there were seperate ballots to choose the best voting system for public proposal and the best voting system on pure merit. Both were won convincingly by Approval Voting, but every margins method in the second poll defeated every winning-votes method pairwise according to both sets of ranked ballots. So even if winning-votes advocates outnumber margins preferrers now, that wasn't always the case. I personally find winning-votes mostly harmless but wholly valueless. ===== Rob LeGrand, psephologist [EMAIL PROTECTED] Citizens for Approval Voting http://www.approvalvoting.org/ __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com ---- Election-methods mailing list - see http://electorama.com/em for list info
