|
Hi Democracy Friends.
As long as I know, the 'Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives Criterion'
may be explained as: If an election is held and a winner is declared, this
winning candidate should remain the winner in any recalculation of votes
as a result of one or more of the losing candidates dropping
out.
To me, this criteria implies that any election should have a Condorcet
winner, because we might drop out all of the defeated candidates, except 1
of them, and this would establish a pairwise dispute between the winner and only
one of the defeated candidates, any one of them.
However, the absence of a Condorcet winner can not be considered a problem
with an election method, but, instead, it only reflects ambiguities in the
electors' preferences. If what I wrote is correct, this means that the
'Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives' is not a valid criteria to evaluate
any voting method.
I'm afraid I am not understanding correctly the 'Independence of Irrelevant
Alternatives Criterion' , so I ask you to correct me if this is happening.
I also ask confirmation if Arrow used this criteria to prove his famous
impossibility theorem.
Thank you.
Marcos C. Ribeiro
Belo Horizonte - Minas Gerais - Brasil.
|
- Re: [EM] Does the 'Independence of Irrelevant Alterna... Marcos C. Ribeiro
- Re: [EM] Does the 'Independence of Irrelevant Al... Marcos C. Ribeiro
- Re: [EM] Does the 'Independence of Irrelevant Al... Forest Simmons
- [EM] Does the 'Independence of Irrelevant Altern... Marcos C. Ribeiro
- Re: [EM] Does the 'Independence of Irrelevan... Rob Speer
- Re: [EM] Does the 'Independence of Irrel... Forest Simmons
- Re: [EM] Does the 'Independence of I... James Green-Armytage
- Re: [EM] Does the 'Independence... Adam Tarr
- Re: [EM] Does the 'Independ... James Green-Armytage
- Re: [EM] Does the 'Independ... Alex Small
- Re: [EM] Does the 'Independ... Forest Simmons
