I like this method, and would like to discuss the behavior with the simple
three-candidate "center squeeze" scenario, as compared to IRV.

If IRV falls victim to center squeeze, then the centrist candidate is
candidate C in QR. Thus, for them to win, two things must happen: B has a
majority win over A, and C over B. If you locate the three in
one-dimensional issue space, and label the median voter X, this means
something like the following:

...----B-C-X--A-----...

If C is at the median voter, then they cannot win unstrategically, because
whichever of the other two candidates is closer to the median will win both
first preferences and pairwise against the other one. Thus, C must be on the
same side of the median as B, in order to give A "more room" to win the
first preferences.

Can a truly-centrist (median) candidate win strategically? If C voters know
how the other two candidates will fall in first preferences, their best vote
for electing C will be C>B>A, even if their honest preference is C>A>B. Note
that this is fundamentally a dangerous strategy, as, in order to work, it
depends on B beating A; and so if C does not beat B, it helps the worst
candidate B win the election. Thus, the A>C>B voters can spitefully defend
against this by announcing their intention to bullet-vote for A. This
defense means nothing to the honest C>B>A voters, who still prefer B to A;
but it does deter strategic C>B>A votes from honestly-C>A>B voters. Thus, if
the A voters' threat is plausible, a truly-centrist candidate is still
vulnerable to center squeeze, and cannot win.

So really, the advantage of QR over IRV is not so much in traditional center
squeeze, as in "clonelike center squeeze". That is, where IRV (like closed
primaries) often elects the more-radical of two near-clones, QR generally
elects the more-centrist one.

(Note that "DNA" analysis misses this point because it never includes both
C>B>A and C>A>B preferences in the same scenario. I like the "DNA" idea, but
this is its weakness.)

JQ