Greg Nisbet   Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:31 AM
My system does not have voters voting for candidates at all. In fact,
candidates needn't even exist (theoretically of course) for my
method to be well-defined. Instead people simply vote for parties, with parties
that can't get any seats dropped from the lowest
weight first. Making the system more candidate-centric could be done, but my
algorithm (or class of algorithms) is supposed to be a
minimal, easily analyzable change from non-preferential party list methods.

But this is not what the majority of electors want, at least not in polities
like USA, Canada and UK.  Electors in some continental
European countries do seem to be happy with party list PR without any voter
choice of candidates, but I would suggest, that would
not be acceptable in our political culture.   For the UK, that opinion is based
on various public opinion polls; for the USA and
Canada it is based on my reading of local media and blogs.

James Gilmour