dw> Libelf and Libdwarf are APIs to nowhere: they are full of functions
dw> that tell you how to get a foo from a bar, but do not tell you how to
dw> get a bar in the first place or what you can do with a foo once you
dw> have one.

If you are looking for an overview of the ELF(3) API, you could
look at the tutorial "libelf by Example".  It is the first search result
when one searches for "libelf tutorial".

As for DWARF(3), we have an open ticket (#23) to write a tutorial
for the DWARF(3) API.   Please feel free to submit a patch; notes
on some possible contents for the tutorial are here:

   http://sourceforge.net/p/elftoolchain/wiki/LibDwarfTutorial/

> Note that when building on Linux, the instructions are wrong: just
> using pmake will not work, you must invoke it as follows:
>
>     $ NOGCCERROR=1 pmake

A simple 'pmake' should work on the supported versions of Ubuntu.
The supported versions are listed in file "INSTALL" (currently 10.04LTS
and 12.04LTS).

I will download Ubuntu 14.04 LTS this weekend to check.

Regards,
Joseph Koshy