On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 09:13:08PM +0000, Joseph Koshy via
Elftoolchain-developers wrote:
> Ed,
>
> > https://reviews.freebsd.org/rS357450
> > addr2line: Cache CU DIEs upon a successful address lookup
>
> In https://reviews.freebsd.org/D23418 there is mention of increased
> memory usage, from 256K to 77M.  This seems a large increase; was it
> looked at in FreeBSD?

This is stale and was due to a bug in an early version of the patch.  We
did some heap profiling and found that the actual increase in memory
usage from the patch is negligible (I believe tens of KB when resolving
addresses in the FreeBSD kernel).

> The Minix microkernel is one of our supported OSes -- I would keep an
> eye on RAM usage so that the project remains usable there.
>
> What is the specific problem that this patch is attempting to address?

The case where addr2line is consuming a large number of input addresses.
Today it sequentially scans the CU DIEs for each address without doing
any caching.