On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 05:23:22AM EDT, Jonas Fonseca wrote:
> cga2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote Wed, May 17, 2006:
> > >
> > > Yes, they correspond to back/forward buttons in graphical browsers.
> > > Basically, the view state (what link you were on etc.) will be
> > > restored when moving back and forth in this manner.
> > >
> > Thanks a ton. I have remapped them to "h" and "l" .. a lot more
> > convenient for me than the arrow/cursor keys which are very difficult to
> > reach on this laptop.
> >
> > In order to do that, I had to remap "l" - "jump to link" to "u" but I'm not
> > sure what that does - sorry, I'm clueless about web stuff.
> >
> > I tried it in different contexts and it does nothing. What's the
> > difference between "jump to link" and "follow link"? "Jump" to a link
> > sounds clear enough but from where? When I first saw it I thought it
> > just meant "go to link target" when a link is highlighted but that's
> > apparently not the case.
>
> It takes an (undocumented) prefix number. So entering the sequence "5l"
> sets the prefix to 5 (will be shown in the status bar) and then jumps to
> link number five.

I must be configured differently: when I enter 5 elinks opens a "Go to
link" dialog box with "5" already typed in and if I type "u" - the jump
to link keybinding in my modified configuration and hit enter I get a
second pop up with an error message: "Bad number" - "Number expected in
field". So I'm still missing something. :-/

I expected "jump to link" to open the dialog box where I can enter the
link number but this is apparently not what it does.  I'm stumped.