Thomas Adam wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 05:33:38PM +0200, clemens fischer wrote:
>
>> has anybody checked [1][2] for a more complete implementation of
>> DOM/CSS in elinks?
>>
>> [1] http://www.nongnu.org/muesli/
>> [2] http://www.nongnu.org/libruin/
>
> libruin looks interesting, but ultimately offers nothing that ELinks
> doesn't currently support.
>
> I have no idea why you mentioned muesli.

Well, libruin depends on some scheme code for getting at XHTML and DOM
objects.  Elinks has a variety of independent script engines using hooks
in the code, the embedded Lua being the most complete and easiest to use
IMO.

I thought using one set of hooks interfacing to muesli as a common
denominator might make an elinks developers life easier, especially
with libruin.

> Ultimately the work for a DOM is still on-going -- whether we, as
> ELinks developers (of which I am not -- I've barely submitted any
> patches for it in two years) implement this as a library or not, is
> unclear.  But I suspect there's little point in doing so.

The DOM is huge, it's much work.  Maybe using a lib is easier in the
long run.

> But like everything, it requires people with time, and inclination to
> (re)staet this again.  So far though...
>
> What exactly was it you had in mind for either of these libraries, out
> of interest?

I noticed that more and more websites use, and don't work without,
javascipt and a full DOM implementation.  Elinks doesn't do javascipt
well, because the DOM is missing, and implementing a DOM makes not much
sense without javascipt.  My vague idea was to use elinks cache, http,
bookmarks, configuration system etc, glue it to libruin for rendering
and to muesli to have a uniform interface to several scripting
languages, the guile-scheme binding being essential for SDOM.

I have tried once to get elinks Lua-scripting to work on freebsd.  It
seems parts of the code are hackish, other parts look properly designed
re. the abstraction layers and the build system.  I can imagine the
frustration for the old and possibly new developers to go through the
bulk of the code in the many directories, knowing that it might be
easier to hack at or use vimperator for firefox than at elinks.  Then
I stumbled upon libruin and muesli and just wanted to know if elinks
devs know about them.

clemens