As someone who uses charlists extensively for erlang integration I would
prefer them to stay, however I understand that a lot of programmers coming
from poorly made languages like javascript do expect 'string' to be a
string just like "string".  However, from a C++ perspective a 'string' is
expected to be an 'array of characters' (though highly limited in length),
which is similar to a 'list of characters' of how it is now.

For purely ease-of-use for newbie programmers coming from web languages, it
might be best to deprecate it and just use ~c.

But from lower level languages like C++ and for integration with erlang I
do prefer 'string', plus it is not hard for a half-decent IDE to colorize
"string" and 'string' differently like atom does (teal for "string", blue
for 'string' for me).