I feel like a common idiom in Elixir is to define environment-specific
variables using module attributes so that each environment's changes can be
compiled directly (instead of being called dynamically). The most obvious
place to define these module attributes is in the respective config
directory. Right now if you compile the source with a given module
attribute you need to blow away the _build directory and call mix again to
recompile. I think it would be nice if mix could look at the timestamp of
the respective config file and recompile if needed. Alternatively, it would
be helpful if mix would warn if the config file has changed and a recompile
is needed to use the latest source (as there aren't any indicators that mix
didn't pick up the changes in the config file)