> The _build folder contains all build artifacts for external dependencies
and internal application code. This means that caching this folder is a
pain.

Could you elaborate why is this painful? Is it the sheer size of the _build
directory? Or you don't want to cache app code? Please note that e.g.
heroku-buildpack-elixir caches the whole _build directory, however uses
`mix compile --force` to compile the project - this makes sure that your
app code is always recompiled (works in umbrella too) but the deps are only
recompiled when they actually change.