I can see that I slightly misunderstood what you're proposing. I thought
you were proposing removing comments after generation but you're proposing
generating the boilerplate code without comments in the first place. So,
never mind--I just misunderstood what you were proposing.

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 11:20 AM, Ville Hellman <fxnstyl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Onorio,
>
> Thanks for pointing it out. Looking at the generated files and the
> templates I can only see a single doctest that gets created:
> https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/master/lib/mix/lib/mix/tasks/
> new.ex#L443
>
> To me this feels like a placeholder and for the --nocomments mode I'd
> propose not creating it either as anyone using this option is unlikely to
> keep it. Would you agree?
>
> Thanks,
> Ville
>
> On Wednesday, 31 January 2018 20:49:42 UTC, Onorio Catenacci wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 10:09:32 AM UTC-5, Ville Hellman wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I'm proposing a new option for the `mix new` task: `--nocomments` when
>>> run with this option it would omit all comments from the generated project
>>> files.
>>>
>>> When first starting with Elixir I found the comments in the files very
>>> useful indeed but more recently I've found them to be mostly a nuisance
>>> that I end up deleting straight away. This is particularly bad in the
>>> config file (of which most is comments) or in a Phoenix project. If this
>>> proposal is implemented I'm planning on opening similar proposal for the
>>> Phoenix project.
>>>
>>> I would like to put together a pull request for this if the community
>>> agrees it would be a valuable addition.
>>>
>>> I have had a preliminary look at the `Mix.Tasks.New` module and the work
>>> involved and would like to discuss couple of different approaches to how
>>> this could be implemented.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ville
>>>
>>> ps. congratulations to everyone involved in getting 1.6 released!
>>>

>> What about doctests and other comments of that sort?  You would need some
>> means to distinguish between those sorts of comments (which need to be left
>> in) and those which should get removed.

> msgid/elixir-lang-core/0dc69935-961a-4b71-b3dc-
> 2725c3ee2272%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elixir-lang-core/0dc69935-961a-4b71-b3dc-2725c3ee2272%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Onorio Catenacci

http://onor.io