>  it doesn't change the fact that both its documentation and the handling
of invalid arguments should be improved, and that should happen _in_
Erlang, not anywhere else. A lot of the issues you have mentioned could be
solved simply by improving the documentation to be explicit about what
represents "good" selections vs "bad", what gotchas to be aware of, etc

Agreed that documentation improvements and argument handling should happen
in Erlang. I disagree that documentation improvements and best practices
would solve these problems. In practice, I definitely haven't seen that to
be the case.

> I see no reason why the OTP team wouldn't be amenable to a new crypto
interface which is safer and easier to use, or at least open to discussion
about it.

Perhaps that is the best solution. Although, unfortunately, a new interface
doesn't really solve the problem of the developer still needing to figure
out which interface to use.

Anyway, I appreciate the input :) I'll start poking around for potential
solutions elsewhere.