I agree with a separate org. I picked here to start simply because most of
the code out there that has relevant pieces probably belongs to someone on
this mailing list. I think that once it is stable it may be a candidate for
inclusion. But until it is stable I wouldn't consider it.

I also agree that some of the packages can possibly kept separate from each
other. And there's probably some base package where we'd want to extract
some code common to all crypto as you mentioned.

Also, I don't want to volunteer anyone, but I think there needs to be a
single spot where we try to maintain important code related to crypto. If
for no other reason than the trust aspect of it. I understand the concerns
about security once it gets large but that's why a group of packages under
a single org makes sense. And it provides us to be a little more forward
thinking in what we want the packages to look like. The best example I can
think of to illustrate my thoughts here is this:

*Imagine we wanted to add a check when Phoenix starts up to ensure that the
certificate being passed to Cowboy hasn't expired. Or log out a message
with the expiry date so that it can be tracked easily.*

*That is reusable code. I can think of several other cases where people
might want to check the expiry on a certificate. So then we extract it.*

*The problem is that the code needed to read out that date is very similar
to code needed to read out any details of the certificate. And it probably
belongs with code needed to manipulate certificates instead of being in a
separate package, because it would either duplicate some of that code, or
depend heavily on it and would be useful inside that package.*

I am willing to help maintain it. But I definitely can't do this all by
myself so I'm looking for support.
I also don't want hijack the code that is out there already. So I'm trying
to gauge interest in this.

If I was to make elixir-crypto who should be a part of it?

Thanks for your feedback José. :)