Hi Frerich Raabe,

Thank you for the detailed proposal.

Unfortunately, the issue with ~> 0.1 is that people may expect us to
perform proper dependency resolution. The dependency resolution does not
consider only how to download the package "foo" but rather the package
"foo" and all of its dependencies. You have detailed how we can prefetch
tags but the dependency resolution also needs to know all of the
dependencies (and their requirements) for said tag.

For example, imagine that we specify ~> 0.1 for a project and tag v0.3.0 is
available. We checkout v0.3.0, load the Mix.Project, then we find a version
conflict in its deps. Now, in order to find the next version to try out, we
could go on and check the next tag, load the next Mix.Project, and so on.
We will do it for all matching tags until we find a matching set of deps,
abort, or backtrack. This process is going to be extremely slow, because
every tag attempt requires a checkout, loading a file, compiling a module,
and getting the deps to try out.

Contrast this to Hex.pm, where all versions, their deps and requirements
are available and cached upfront. Still, even with this, Hex dependency
resolution can still be slow in some pathological cases. I can't even
imagine how much slower they would be if trying out every combination of
the resolution required a checkout, file parsing, etc.

Due to this, I am afraid we simply cannot support dependency resolution
with git repos. It is going to quickly become too slow as the number of
versions and dependencies grow.