We already cover the relevant policies in our README:
https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir

As of now, it also includes a link to the Development page. I don't think a
new document would help as it would lead to duplication.

Regarding functions, I think it can be even simpler than what Zach
proposed. We have generally accepted any enhancement to existing functions
and modules that are straightforward and without corner cases. After all,
the biggest issue with truncate are the corner cases in relation to all
scriptsets. For example, I would expect some languages to truncate on the
left? So that by itself already has to reframe the conversation to having
both truncate_suffix and truncate_prefix. There are probably more corner
cases. So it can be 6 LOC in your app, with several assumptions, but likely
many more LOC in Elixir.