Macro systems add tons of power to a language. That power can be used to
create really simple code but more often then not it will be used to create
horrible code. I think this is perhaps my least favorite thing about
Haskell. I feel like ML family languages are already pretty terse as they
are and don't need much help to make them "prettier". One of the best
things about Elm is that it routinely rejects power for simplicity.  I'm
personally very happy with the current HTML syntax and see no benefit in
that area. If some sort of syntax becomes widely useful (which is rare, as
it should be) then it should be added to the language. I think a 3rd party
thing akin to http://sweetjs.org/ would be a good playground to play with
new syntax, however this shouldn't be widely used as a good idea.