My feeling is that their conception was at about the same time and had
broadly the same goals.

I.e. make complicated programs sane.

On top of that, I see the adopters being similar.

Those who are looking for a better way and open to new ideas.

I agree with you.

Elm has many nice features that Elixir does not. Until we can run Elm on
the BEAM Elixir is probably the way to go server-side : )