That's probably not an exact quote but I heard Richard say that today on
the JavascriptAir podcast and I've heard it before on other podcasts or
videos. The idea is why would you need source maps if there are no runtime
exceptions?

There are two reasons I think this isn't a useful line of reasoning.

   1. Elm actually can have runtime exceptions. It doesn't have
   type-related runtime exceptions but it's completely possible to have
   others <https://github.com/elm-lang/core/issues/474>.
   2. I personally find it useful to step through code that contains logic
   errors, which is to say branches of code that are executing that I didn't
   expect to be executing, or a function executing with an unexpected value.
   Tracing back up the call stack and stepping through code helps me diagnose
   where I made a logic error. Conditional breakpoints are extremely helpful
   with this kind of troubleshooting.

I'm not following how close Elm is to having source maps or whether it's on
the road map, but I wanted to get my 2 cents out there that maybe we
shouldn't be so dismissive of the usefulness of source maps.