For what it's worth, I had the same initial reaction to all the extra
whitespace added in 'let' blocks - that was by far the biggest change that
elm-format made to my code when I started using it - but I fairly quickly
started to like it. Yes, some functions get a lot longer, but that extra
whitespace and consistent indentation does seem to make code very visually
scannable.