Am I correct in thinking that this is something that would benefit everyone
who wants to handle keyboard shortcuts in Elm?

If the scenario is:

   - You already have complete message and update logic.
   - You want to capture a selected few key inputs and map them to already
   implemented actions in the app.

then yes, that would be nicer to do with the proposed new functions rather
than the existing ones, since you would not need to suddenly add a NoOp
message constructor and provide (trivial) update logic for it, and possibly
fix a number of other places in the program where case distinction on
message constructors happens. Instead, you simply map the wanted keys to
Just the relevant message constructors you already have, and all others to
Nothing, and don’t need to touch any other part of your program.
​