Touche, I had an omission in my snippet also :)
The getItem should have been:

getItem : List Item -> ID -> Maybe Item
getItem : list id =
  List.filter (\item -> item.id == id) list
  |> List.head

To turn the (maybe empty) list of with the item-to-get into a Maybe Item.

I did use a lot of Dict also for data, but in my code that frequently
generated a lot of turning Dict into Lists (for rendering, sorting,
filtering, counting etcetera).
But I guess it depends on typical use case.