Thank you for this very clear and concise description @debois!

Coming from React+Flux, I've followed much of the discussions on
child-parent communication, components etcetera, but I found it really hard
to scale in elm.
The "everything is a component" from react is a hard habit to break, and
although I understood (+ learned the hard way) that components are not the
way to go in elm, it wasn't really clear to me what the right (or better)
way is.

Your post is a very helpful guideline, thanks!