Whenever I google something like this, I always get discussions about Elm
libraries for this.

As someone new to css in general, I just want to be able to do normal css
animations using elm to model the state, do the event handling, and render
the html.

For example, if the state is toggled in the model to that hides a menu, can
I use css to make that menu gradually disappear, as opposed to suddenly,
without using an elm library?

Of course, I'm not referring to anything complex with canvas or svg, I can
see the appeal of writing svg or canvas code in elm. I just mean for plain
dom elements for a basic ui.

Would this be the preferred approach?