In another discussion, I was pointed to,
which sheds some light on the issue, but also raises a few questions.

   1. The article mentions that APIs generally expose Task in favor of Cmd.
   Why is the port API a -> Cmd msg instead of a -> Task Never () or
   something like that?
   2. Is there a recommended way to pass data to ports in order? I've come
   up with the workaround of sending over only one port per update and using
   Cmd.Extra.message to trigger additional updates immediately, but I don't
   think it's very clean.