Why is it that the language is entirely dependent on one person? I get that
Evan is the BDFL but there should be a core community that can approve
these without his approval.
As for the book, I do remember that he had an issue with people modifying
the book from his keynote at Elm-Conf. However, this is the primary
learning resource people will use to pick up Elm. Nobody wants to sift
through hundreds of 3rd party blog posts, etc. Elm's success is dependent
on how good the official guides are.
If Evan does not want people to make changes to the book, then he should
host it on his own website.